Bill Gates plans to redistribute his entire fortune to launch projects aimed at improving life on Earth. Environment, health, industry: so many subjects that it will finance until its resources run out.
For anyone growing up in the 1990s and 2000s, the name Bill Gates resonates with Microsoft and the richest man in the world. From 1994 to 2017, Bill Gates accumulated 18 titles of the greatest fortune in the world, peaking in 1999 at 90 billion dollars. Since 2017, two other tech entrepreneurs have taken over: Jeff Bezos, then Elon Musk. Retired from business, Bill Gates has not worked to grow his heritage – on the contrary, he redistributes a large part of it in the foundation he created with Melinda, his wife.
Become the poorest man in the world
On July 13, 2022, he claimed in a blog post and on Twitter that he would take the opposite path to his ascension: he wishes to separate from ” virtually his entire fortune “. The reasons mentioned by the philanthropist are numerous and would come to everyone’s mind: The pandemic is one of the greatest setbacks in history. The war in Ukraine is a huge tragedy for the whole world. The damage caused by climate change is already worse than predicted by most models. The United States has taken a huge step backwards for gender equality and women’s health. “, he says, in the introduction of his Twitter feed.
These great crises of the 21st century, the last being linked to the end of abortion protection in the United States, lead Bill Gates to step up donations to his foundation. He announced that he would go from $6 billion in donations per year to $9 billion in donations this year. With a first check for $20 billion in July 2022, which will mark the start of this new era.
Bill Gates’ plans to change humanity
What will these funds be used for? For Bill Gates, an eternal optimist, it is a question of advancing humanity towards several objectives that his foundation has set itself.
- Anticipating and fighting pandemics : the objective here is to fund research for vaccines that provide immunity against infections and not that simply reduce the contagiousness and severity of diseases. In parallel, Bill Gates evokes the need to find easily usable drugs to slow down the emergence of an epidemic.
- Reduce infant mortality : for Bill Gates, it is the extension of his fight against malaria, with the objective of putting humanity back on the trajectory of the objectives set by the United Nations, swept away by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Eliminate diseases : polio is in the viewfinder of the billionaire. Virtually eradicated thanks to vaccination, it remains present in many countries. He hopes to eradicate it within 3 to 4 years and make it join the ranks of diseases of the past, such as smallpox.
- Improve food security : the world must be able to feed itself and Bill Gates wants to ensure that crops are resistant to climate change. Its first goal is to make the African continent an exporter of food and not an importer.
- Access to gender equality : Bill Gates wishes to participate in the empowerment of women in the world, by working on access to education, health, contraceptives and financial resources that allow innovation.
- Improve education : it is not enough to have a computer to learn better, says the billionaire. It is in personalized curricula that he imagines the future of education, with programs to be tested in both developing and developed countries.
- Mitigating climate change : Bill Gates no longer says Stop, but mitigate. Far from populist mirages, the billionaire prefers to focus first on what produces the most emissions: the production of cement and steel, for example. Focusing on sectors the most emittershe knows that the task will be difficult, because it will change whole sections of the economy.
In short, a down-to-earth program that intends to sustain human life on Earth rather than correlating its survival with the conquest of space.
In a final message that sounds like a definition of the wealthy tax, Bill Gates shows his commitment to giving back to the community what he has earned as an individual: “I have an obligation to return my resources to society in ways that have the greatest impact in reducing suffering and improving lives. And I hope that other people, very rich and privileged, will make the same decisions “.
A message probably addressed to Jeff Bezos, known for his selfishness and low propensity to contribute to charity. Or to Elon Musk, the only one of the three thieves who is not yet a retired from tech.